Saturday, October 2, 2010

The What's Up Top Hat, Blanket, and Bootie drive!

A very very dear friend of mine will be taking her baby to Seattle Children's Hospital at the end of the month for surgery, and it inspired me. When my first son was born he was taken directly to the NICU and was there for three days. While three days for a NICU stay isn't long it felt like an eternity, while he was there we were given a beautiful little handmade quilt, walking into his room and finding that made my day a little brighter.

Another friend posted about a project she was doing making quilts for a NICU and it all came together. I can do this. I can start something so that we can donate to a hospital and add a splash of brightness to a child and/or parents day.

Here's what YOU can do to help. If you are crafty you can make small blankets (24" x  30" for NICU 36" x 36" for PICU/older children), hats of all sizes from preemie to teen, and baby booties.

If you're not a crafty type but wish to help you are welcome to purchase blankets of a similar size, or you may purchase a hat through me at a discounted price of 10.00 (cloche/monkey hat) or 12.00 (women's/teen brimmed hat).

If you decide to make and/or purchase items for the drive send me an e-mail at whatsuptop (at) aol (dot) com and I'll provide you with my address for shipping. Once I collect 50 items I will take them to the hospital and donate them!

Please help me to make a bright spot out of what can be a sad and trying time for these families!

Please Note: The hospital specifies all items must be NEW or NEWLY MADE, not used.

No comments:

Post a Comment